Author Topic: Chapin dressing table  (Read 2166 times)

rchampagne

• Forum Master
Chapin dressing table
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
I would very much like to make a Chapin style dressing table, and I am wondering if there are good sources for photos and dimensions.  I don't necessarily need a set of plans, but if anyone knows of such a set I would probably be interested.  I am aware of the book Connecticut Valley Furniture, Eliphalet Chapin and his Contemporaries, but I haven't had a chance to look at it.  Does anyone have it, and would it be a useful source?  Probably the most necessary information are the overall dimensions, especially the size of the case relative to the height of the legs.  I think I could scale the rest of a piece appropriately from a photo.  Also of interest would be molding profiles for the top edge.  I've looked through the books I have and don't see many references to Chapin dressing tables, mainly highboys. 
Thanks,
Rob

NLandry

Re: Chapin dressing table
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
Rob,

The "Connecticut Valley Furniture" book does show three or four examples of dressing tables from the Chapin shop and it gives the overall dimensions of each table.  There are a few close-up detail pictures as well.

Norman