Author Topic: Bed Post carving pattern or plan  (Read 5691 times)

Carl

• Forum Apprentice
Bed Post carving pattern or plan
« on: September 26, 2008, 05:08:49 PM »
Hey fellow SAPFM members I am wondering if anybody has plans/patterns for a bed, probably Federal style with a little Chippendale mixed in.  Something similar to Allan Breeds bedpost from FWW #172 but with acanthus leaves instead of corn leaves.  With the little time I have to make furniture I would rather pay for plans/patterns than try and scale/draw from photos.  I considered the Chippendale bed that Phil Lowe sells; but, my wife and I prefer later beds with carving on the posts.  Heading into a Wisconsin winter looks like a good time to try and make a few matching bedposts.  Thanks, Carl.

ttalma

• Forum Master
Re: Bed Post carving pattern or plan
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:00:34 AM »
Check out the Samuel Humprey book on Thomas Elfe. There are a few beds in there with some details of the carvings.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Carl

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »
I may have that book, I'll check it out tonight.  Anybody else that may have patterns or plans of the bed post?   Thanks, Carl.

Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

• Forum Master
  • Professional period furniture maker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:36:12 AM »
Check "Furniture Treasury" by Wallace Nutting.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Retired Dec. 2018.

Carl

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »
I looked at the Elfe book which helped; but, I really need larger drawings to help figure out the carving.

Dennis, Thanks for the source.  I do have the 3rd volume and it has a couple post drawings that are in the right style; but, only 2 are large enough that I could make a pattern from and they aren't the preferred style.

My scaling and drawing skills are pretty poor. Does Vol. 1 or 2 have more of the 1/2 page detail drawings of the various posts?

Thanks, Carl.

Bill Sutton

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:47:21 PM »
You might try contacting Jeff Headly.  He has built beds likr this and may have photos.

rococojo

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 02:56:39 PM »

Hi Carl, why not invest in a reprint of: Thomas Chippendale, The Director, littly $.
You could pick from many grand beds.

Joseph Hemingway
                                                     40th Anniversary, Pro Furniture Maker.