Author Topic: plane makers name stamp  (Read 5417 times)

tgraves

• Forum Apprentice
plane makers name stamp
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »
Does anyone out there know where to have a name stamp made like you see on old molding planes?
Also I am having severe trouble finding any beech.  I live in the middle of Indiana and every mill I contact doesn't sell beech in anything other than 4/4.  I am interested in finding some to attempt to make some planes with.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Todd

Jeff Saylor

• Forum Master
  • Retired H.S. Industiral Arts teacher
    • Jeff Saylor
Re: plane makers name stamp
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:40:26 PM »
Todd,

Try doing a web search for steel stamps.  There are a few companies out there that will make a custom stamp for you.   I had one made about a year ago but will have to look around to find the name of the company.  They were able to make the stamp exactly to the font I wanted and it's hardened to the point that I could stamp steel with it.
Jeff Saylor
SAPFM #211  Hobbies include hunting, fishing, making furniture, searching for old tools at flea markets.

Woodmolds

• Forum Master
  • Professional Wood Butcher (Architectural Millwork)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:27:59 PM »
The brochure I have is from "Mazzaglia Tools" it lists makers stamps, plane iron blanks, chisels, & floats. Basic stamp with 3 initials is $15, 4-15 characters 1/8" letters is $45 add $5.00 for Zig Zag border. Other options are listed on the brochure.

Email: mazzaglia_tools@yahoo.com

USPS: Mazzaglia Tools - 12 Palmer St. - Salem, NH 03079

Tony Joyce
"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.? Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

msiemsen

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements
    • Green Lake Clock Company
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »
that's the same place I was going to recommend
http://www.geocities.com/m.ttools/cover2     takes you to a website
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't