Author Topic: Schmieg and Kotzian  (Read 4952 times)

thedoc

• Forum Apprentice
Schmieg and Kotzian
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:39:17 PM »
Is anyone familiar with a company called Schmieg and Kotzian? They were supposedly the premier furniture makers in the early 1900's. I've just acquired a desk of solid mahogany that bears the S&K logo. It's made entirely of mahogany. I mean every last piece is mahogany. Before I begin a much needed restoration, I'd like to learn a little bit more about the piece.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Arnold

• Forum Master
    • Boston Woodworking Co., Ltd
Re: Schmieg and Kotzian
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:49:48 PM »
Doc,

To be honest, I'd never heard of the firm before. Google images brings up quite a few examples of their work. It seems they did a fair amount of reproduction work as well as contemporary (Art Deco) stuff. In the '40s, the company published a short book about a special mahogany log that it had acquired from Cuba. Check out this link. http://www.bookfever.com/new_offerings/Schmieg_Karl_signed_Carman_Allan_MONARCH_OF_MAHOGANY_VISITS_SCHMIEGHUNGATE__KOTZIAN_Being_the_History_Travels_and_Eventual_Life_of_book_39455.html
Who knows, maybe the wood in your desk came from the same log?

Mark
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:52:18 PM by Mark Arnold »
NBSS '96, Partial to the Federal Period.

thedoc

• Forum Apprentice
Re: Schmieg and Kotzian
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:27:10 AM »
Now wouldn't that be something. Nice find, thanks! By the way, the desk is now on Ebay if you want to see pictures.  Item number: 320197643901