Author Topic: Opinions Wanted - Furniture Plans and "Fakes"  (Read 9132 times)

K A R

• Forum Journeyman
Re: Opinions Wanted - Furniture Plans and "Fakes"
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 08:31:30 PM »
Kent states
"I think it's doubtful they were ignorant of wood movement to the extent that they would not realize a top attached with glueblocks would eventually croack (or the glueblocks would fail)."

Ooooops!  Kent didn't state that or write that.

msiemsen

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements
    • Green Lake Clock Company
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 08:32:22 AM »
Sorry Kent! That was dkeller that wrote that.
Mike
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't

dkeller_nc

• Forum Master
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 10:55:45 AM »
I put some thought into this topic over the weekend after reading quite a few issues of Woodworking magazine (Chris Schwartz's mag), and it occurs to me that perhaps Chris was referring more to furniture in his style preferences (shaker and arts & crafts) when he stated that "counterfiet furniture is big business", rather than the hand-made products of the colonial or federal period. 

If that's true, than perhaps his statement makes more sense.  Since most Arts & Crafts furjiture was produced using machines to specific dimensions, it would be considerably easier to fake a Stickley table than it would be to fake a high-style handmade piece from the 18th century, where not only oxidation and wear would have to be duplicated, but the marks of hand tools as well as construction idiosyncracies specific to a particular master's shop.                                                 
Period Furniture & Carving as a hobby - about 20 years woodworking