Author Topic: Back Stools  (Read 2236 times)

Tom M

  • Forum Master
  • ***
  • Posts: 181
Back Stools
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:34:18 PM »
I just finished making a Philadelphia back stool.  I sent a picture to a friend and he asked why it is called a back stool. 

In the Winterthur New England book they show several back stools, many have arms. It seems the term "back stool" refers to a chair with a back (duh) which has the back and seat upholstered.  So even if it has arms (un-upholstered) it is still a back stool.

Seemed like a good question for the forum.  Why "Back Stool"?
Tom Meiller, SAPFM Member #684


  • Guest
Re: Back Stools
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:52:42 PM »

You might check in the book Upholstery in America and Europe from the Seventeenth Century to World War  I   by Edward S. Cooke for that answer.   I know it talks about back stools, but I can't remember if it explains  why that term.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 11:59:01 PM by Norman Landry »