Author Topic: Worm holes in Butternut  (Read 69 times)

Tom M

• Forum Master
Worm holes in Butternut
« on: November 07, 2019, 03:45:54 PM »
I'm building a stepback hutch out of old air-dried butternut.  Some of the wider boards have worm holes which became noticeable after planing the boards.  I would like to use them full width, and one of the sides of the lower cabinet has a lot of worm holes (left side of picture).  On a sample board I mixed some hyde glue with butternut filings and filled the worm holes. After drying I planed and shellacked the board (see picture).  I'm not sure I like this, [/size]and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to deal with the worm holes?
[/size]
[/size]Thanks,
[/size]Tom
Tom Meiller, SAPFM Member #684

Tom M

• Forum Master
Re: Worm holes in Butternut
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
I'm not sure what happened to the text in my post, but something certainly went wrong.

In any case I filled the worm holes on a scrap piece using hide glue and wood filings.  I planed and shellecked it - see picture (I'm not crazy about it).  I would be interested if anyone has a suggestion.  I may need to just scrap my plan of only using full width boards for this one side.
Tom Meiller, SAPFM Member #684

Howard Pollack

• Forum Apprentice
Re: Worm holes in Butternut
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 10:56:41 AM »
I had some sycamore with the same problem.  I tried to fill them with a sanding dust and finish mixture, but I didn't like the results.  I finally decided to work them into the design by filling them with a mixture of cyanoacrylate glue and ebony dust.  A little unusual, but attractive.  -Howard