Author Topic: Cherry dyes over a wash coat of 1 pound cut shellac  (Read 365 times)

swifty6

• Forum Apprentice
Re: Cherry dyes over a wash coat of 1 pound cut shellac
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 07:29:05 PM »
I prepared about 6 samples of lockwood stain( alcohol and water squabble ). I found one that I liked. I applied it to a cherry bench that I recently completed .I used an alcohol soluble antique cherry by Lockwood stains. Results were a disaster. Too much  red. I reached for a brown glaze. Then after overnight drying. I applied 3 coats of Garnet Shellac. It turned out ok. The bench was for the MUD room of our house.
Now back to my Chippendale Chest. I used MInwax Cherry  penetrating stain after a wash coat of 1 pound cut shellac. Later I applied 3 coats of 1 pound Garnet shellac. After a critical eye exam of my progress, I reapplied a this coat of MinWax cherry stain and left it overnight. The results were dramatic, beautiful stain that made the grain really pop. However, the stain label stated it must have a top coat. I applied 5 coats using a French polish technique. A linen cover cheese cloth pad 3 or 4 drops of Alcohol and 3 heavy drops of Garnet shellac.
It looks good now but tomorrow I will continue the building process then progress to a final polish for a mirror finish.
The Take home message is Minwax cherry stain applied after a wash coat and later after more shellac applied again to bring up the color I wanted.The final MinWax stain application needed an overnight drying.

Mark Maleski

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »
"Results were a disaster. Too much  red. I reached for a brown glaze."
The opposite of red is green.  To reduce red, add green.  I'd fear the brown glaze would just make everything darker without fixing the red.
Glad to hear things are going so well with your Chippendale chest!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:27:29 AM by Mark Maleski »

Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

• Forum Master
  • Professional period furniture maker
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 09:06:25 AM »
Mark,

Why are you typing is code? (see your response below) It is not necessary to type in code on this Forum.

Thanks,
Dennis Bork
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Retired Dec. 2018.

Mark Maleski

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 09:28:37 AM »
I fixed it.  I tried pasting in swifty's quote, which caused some formatting problems.  I guess that's what the "preview" button is for!