Author Topic: Stanley 112 scraper  (Read 384 times)

macchips4

• Forum Master
Stanley 112 scraper
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:00:43 PM »
      Kind of slow on the forum/site lately so I thought I would ask opinions......Using a Stanley 112 scraper plane with a Stanley toothing blade for preparing the surface for veneer...which blade to get.....22, 28 or 32 teeth?
     Any thoughts? I've been getting by, using part of a hack-saw blade, scraping by hand. 

The Cabinetmaker

• Forum Apprentice
Re: Stanley 112 scraper
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:31:22 PM »
I remember reading that for toothing planes the coarse blades were for leveling a surface whereas the finer ones were for veneer work.

Mark Maleski

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »

I have an old English wooden toothing plane (Buck 242, made sometime between 1880 and 1930) with a Ward iron.  The teeth were done by hand before hardening.  There are 18 tpi, which I've always considered fairly fine.  Your post and the follow-up have me reconsidering that.  BTW, my Lie-Nielsen toothing blade, which is marketed solely for leveling, has 15 tpi and seems considerably more coarse.

I haven't seen replacements toothing blades for the 112...can you share a source (merely out of curiosity...I don't even have a 112!)

ttalma

• Forum Master
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 10:00:34 AM »
My toothing plane is hand made. It has around 20 teeth per inch. I've always used this for veneering. I have never had any issues with the lines showing through, and have always had good adhesion. S0 I think any of those blades would work.

I prefer to slice my own veneers so they are generally thicker than commercial (1/32"+). But I have used the super thin 1/42" stuff with no issues.

I always hammer veneer, so the results may be different than vacuum veneering.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Mark Maleski

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 10:13:49 AM »
I see Lie-Neilsen sells toothed blades for their version of the 112, in either 18 and 25 tpi.  So I guess I'll consider my wooden toothing plane to be coarse.  I've only used it for flattening and prepping glue surfaces, so 18 tpi seems about right for that.  I guess if I ever hammer veneer anything I'll consider a finer-toothed blade, though from ttalma's post maybe it's not necessary?