Author Topic: jointer dust  (Read 4816 times)

john previti

• Forum Journeyman
jointer dust
« on: February 08, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »
Hi folks,
  I have a question about chips and dust from my 8"jointer.  I just changed knives to some that are about 5/8" wide.  The ones I pulled out are about 1/2" wide.  I had to move the beds up to give room for knives to rotate.  The problem is that when I am using it the dust does not want to drop out of the chute to the floor.  It seems to develop static cling.  I have not had this problem on this machine before.  Gravity always worked most of the time.  I did just replace the motor with a 2 hp from a 1.  I think the chips are smaller because the knives are out further.  Should I try running a grounding wire to the frame?  The motor is grounded through the cord.  The wood was poplar.  Or should I break down and hook up my dust collector to the damn thing.  I was hoping to avoid messing  with the collector.  I like a dust pan and brush and then right to the stove.
John Previti

msiemsen

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements
    • Green Lake Clock Company
Re: jointer dust
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »
John,
Is the motor the same rpm as before? I had a similar situation when I routed a table edge with a spiral bit. The shavings stuck to me until I felt like I had been tarred and feathered. I think your chips are just thinner than before. Try a heavier cut or faster feed.
Mike
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't

Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

• Forum Master
  • Professional period furniture maker
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 08:29:37 AM »
John,

Try using other woods.  I also have noticed that poplar will sometimes have static cling when using my planar.  Other woods do not.

Dennis Bork
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Retired Dec. 2018.

john previti

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 05:33:04 AM »
thanks for the ideas.  I have not been back on it yet.  I will try the variations.  Bigger cut and feed.   Or some other wood and get back to you folks.
John