Author Topic: Filling Holes in Walnut  (Read 3376 times)

briyon

• Forum Journeyman
Filling Holes in Walnut
« on: October 12, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
All,

I am in the process of making a Pennsylvania spice cabinet out of walnut and want to know what folks use to fill nail holes.  I have glued and nailed the crown molding at the top of the case and countersunk the nails.  I am wondering what is the best way to fill the holes for finishing.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Harding
Atlanta,GA

Parttime/Hobbyist Woodworker (20 Years). Recently (last 6 years) concentrating on period furniture.

Jeff Saylor

• Forum Master
  • Retired H.S. Industiral Arts teacher
    • Jeff Saylor
Re: Filling Holes in Walnut
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:43:09 PM »
I've used a paste filler made up of walnut dust and shellac and also have just dabbed hide glue in the nail hole and lightly sanded to mix walnut dust into it.
Jeff Saylor
SAPFM #211  Hobbies include hunting, fishing, making furniture, searching for old tools at flea markets.

ttalma

• Forum Master
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:39:04 AM »
I also use shellac and sawdust. For larger holes I have found a 50/50 mix of sawdust from a crosscut saw and dust from sanding with 220 works better than just the dust from sanding. And dust from just 220 for small holes.

I make mine as a thick paste, and pack it in the hole using another smaller nail or pick tool. I have just tried pushing it in with fingers and have had it pop out while cleaning it up.

I don't worry about getting it all over what-ever I'm filling. I try to wipe off whatever;s not covering the hole. I let it dry overnight and use a card scraper, gouge, whatever to clean it up.

It's very noticeable before the finish is on, basically it's like you finished a few little dots. But once the finish is on it blends in quite well and is barely noticeable.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

briyon

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 10:11:41 AM »
Thank you both for the responses.  I am going to give the shellac/saw dust a try.
Brian Harding
Atlanta,GA

Parttime/Hobbyist Woodworker (20 Years). Recently (last 6 years) concentrating on period furniture.

briyon

• Forum Journeyman
Re: Filling Holes in Walnut - Another Question about cracks in a crotch
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »
The shellac and walnut dust worked excellent in the nail holes.  Now I am wondering about filling some small cracks in a walnut crotch panel for the door.  The cracks are fairly small both in terms of length and width (separation).  I am wondering if the same trick can be used here?  I have heard of using 2 part epoxy with dye.  Just wondering about the preferred method.  Would hide glue work?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Harding
Atlanta,GA

briyon

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »
Adding a photo of the cracks.  They are visible on the back as well
Brian Harding
Atlanta,GA

Tom M

• Forum Master
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 11:44:12 AM »
I've used hide glue, filing dust, thick plane plane shavings, and thin walnut wedges.  Just jammed them in!
Tom Meiller, SAPFM Member #684

briyon

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 12:06:44 AM »
Thanks Tom, the hide glue and sawdust worked great.
Brian Harding
Atlanta,GA