Author Topic: Thomas Elfe Double Chest  (Read 5499 times)

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
  • Running a fifth generation cabinetmaking business
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
Re: Thomas Elfe Double Chest
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 10:55:53 PM »
Mark, The scraper should be set so shavings can be easily removed after one or two passes. If it projects to far then chatter (wash boarding) will occur.

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
  • Running a fifth generation cabinetmaking business
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 11:11:54 PM »
Brian, with your drawing's case construction. Rails (drawer blades) are set in a dovetail from the front. Dust dividers (drawer supports) are slid in from the back in a dado or rabbit (not a flea bitten varmint ) and then glued to the back side of the rail ( drawer blade)
Fret work was sawn out from a heavier piece, sliced, and then applied.
Please send us pictures. We will live vicariously through you with this project.

Ronald Young

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
Brian,
Give me a day or two to get the drawings copied and burn a DVD for you. It is most important that you have the lazy eight fretwork in hand before starting the chest! The center of the pattern must fall on the centerline of the chest and on the center line of the mitered case sides. The dimensions of the case work off the fretwork not the other way around.  I have a pattern for my chest dimensions that I'll include with the drawings. It is very difficult to build the case and then size the lazy eight fretwork to fit. I cut my fretwork from a solid 9/16" thick mahogany board and then sliced off 1/8" pieces on the band saw very carefully with a sharp fine tooth blade-Had not a single break. 9/16 was about the limit my fret saw would cut without the blade bending in the cut.
Ronnie

briyon

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 09:18:23 AM »
Jeff,

It definitely helps. I am really in the research and planning phase at this point.  I have the lumber on because I have been hoarding mahagony for a few years. My friends and I would take a yearly road trip to Irion Lumber and I have been stocking up on Mahogany for about 5 or 6 years.  All the help from you, Ronnie and others will definitely speed up the planning phase.  I am always amazed by the generosity of the real craftsmen on here.  Sharing your knowledge with us amateurs.  I really do appreciate it and I know others do as well.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Harding
Atlanta,GA

Parttime/Hobbyist Woodworker (20 Years). Recently (last 6 years) concentrating on period furniture.

briyon

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »
Thanks Ronnie,  I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.  Please let me know what I owe you for the material.  You can email directly if you would like at bhard85b@netscap.net.

Brian
Brian Harding
Atlanta,GA

Parttime/Hobbyist Woodworker (20 Years). Recently (last 6 years) concentrating on period furniture.