Author Topic: Looking for 16/4 hard maple  (Read 3683 times)

ttalma

• Forum Master
Looking for 16/4 hard maple
« on: December 29, 2015, 10:35:05 AM »
The title says it all. I'm looking for 16/4 hard maple. Does anyone know of a supplier? I bought all of Irion's and everywhere else I've tried doesn't have any.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

• Forum Master
  • Professional period furniture maker
Re: Looking for 16/4 hard maple
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:57:21 AM »
Did you try Good Hope Hardwoods in PA?

Dennis Bork
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Retired Dec. 2018.

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
  • Running a fifth generation cabinetmaking business
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »
You might try C P Johnson Lumber in VA

efmrrt

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:01:43 PM »
Tim, what are you doing with 16/4?  Have you tried Hearne Hardwoods?  Did you talk with Brian at Lakeshore?  If your still in need there is a guy in Watertown that may have some.

Bud

Freddy Roman

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • NOT TO DECIDE IS TO DECIDE!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »
Its difficult to get much of any species of wood over 12/4 these days. Sadly the workers in kilns are drying the lumber to quick and internal checking is a huge issue.  This is why 16/4 is hard to find.  You are better off finding a sawyer and buy air dried.

FR
Freddy Roman
Maker & Restorer
Inlay Maker

ttalma

• Forum Master
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
Thanks for the leads I've still been unable to find any at a reasonable price. My list of suppliers that I have called is at 141. Only one person had any in stock and they wanted $30 a bf.

I have spoke with a couple of lumber yards and found a few that have some cut. But they won't put it in the kiln until after it's had a about a year to air dry (they want it below a certain MC to avoid internal stress cracks), so I'm looking at next next summer before I can get any.

I use it to make wooden vise screws. Even though laminated 8/4 material works just as well, people won't buy it because that's not what Chris Schwarz used. They want the exact same size and length etc.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

msiemsen

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements
    • Green Lake Clock Company
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »
If you can get the material green and rough turn it to size it will dry faster. Paint the end grain with sealer to avoid cracks. The head portion can dry a bit out of round and it won't matter and the screw is probably closer to 2 1/2 inches so much less wood to dry out.
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't