Author Topic: Capen family Bombe desk up for auction  (Read 2196 times)

ttalma

• Forum Master
Capen family Bombe desk up for auction
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
Sothebys is auctioning off the Capen family Bombe desk. Estimate $500k - $700k.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2015/nutt-americana-n09305/lot.256.html

There are only a few pictures, but I didn't notice any power cable holes for your computer. So you'll have to drill you own.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

awleonard

• Forum Master
    • Tony's Web Site
Re: Capen family Bombe desk up for auction
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »
And some nice self closing slides...those old wooden slides are a little sticky after a century or so.

Peter Storey Pentz

• Forum Master
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »
If any of you get a hankering to reproduce this desk, let me know.  I got to look it over a few times as Ruth Nutt was one of my clients.  I miss her.   PSP

jeffsr

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 12:45:45 PM »
i will be making this desk . i cant find clear pics of the knee carving , any ideas of where to look ? my best lead so far is going to boston mfa , i guess there's a piece there with similar carving .
 thanks for any input

Woodmolds

• Forum Master
  • Professional Wood Butcher (Architectural Millwork)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 07:27:51 PM »
CAPEN FAMILY CHIPPENDALE CARVED AND FIGURED MAHOGANY BOMBÉ SLANT-FRONT DESK, BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, CIRCA 1785
"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.? Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

jeffsr

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 08:53:16 PM »
thanks !! that's awesome . do you happen to have a pic of the center drop carving too ? are these your personal photos or is there somewhere I can go to see more than the 3 or 4 pics that i can find on the Sotheby's page ?

Woodmolds

• Forum Master
  • Professional Wood Butcher (Architectural Millwork)
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 09:07:18 AM »
That picture was from the Sothebys site(link above). You can enlarge and zoom most of the pictures on that site.
"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.? Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

jeffsr

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »
oh ,  duh . I had only seen the 4 that come up , didn't realize you could scroll to see a 5th . maybe it's my phone

thanks

jeffsr

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 02:54:39 PM »
i'm having a hard time believing that this desk is 49 1/2" wide . it doesn't look it and it doesn't scale it . you can see this if you do the math of the proportions at the base molding on the photo of the underside . if it is 22" deep then it isn't 49 1/2 wide  . i think it's 3-4" narrower     , am i missing something ?  do we know where this piece is now ?

jeffsr

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 05:23:01 PM »
perspective distortion ( photography ) i guess this effect will disproportionally affect a photo . if i understand it correctly ,, something further from the camera lens appears smaller so when taking a picture of a flat rectangle the long dimension will appear shorter more than the short dimension will .
  anyone have input on this ? i'm going to experiment and take a pic of a rectangle , see what it does

yes , my photo was affected almost exactly the same as how the photo of the bottom of the desk was . now i don't doubt the given dimensions
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:48:22 PM by jeffsr »