Author Topic: Furniture plans how accurate  (Read 7330 times)

klkirkman

• Forum Master
  • boatbuilder/pattern maker/apprentice silversmith
Re: Furniture plans how accurate
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 06:56:22 AM »
It is a long standing rule of the drafting profession that plans are NEVER to be scaled in use.

While most draftsmen endeavor to draw an object "to scale", it is permissible for a number of reasons to have a finished print of a drawing out of scale in whole or part, and some preprinted title blocks even contain the note "do not scale".

Accompanying this freedom to have parts portrayed not to scale is a responsibility to show on the plan every dimension that the builder will need to complete the piece, thus eliminating the need to scale the drawing. In cases where a complex shape is involved, this dimensioning is accomplished by using something like a table of offsets.

Karl
Karl

awleonard

• Forum Master
    • Tony's Web Site
Re: Furniture plans how accurate
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:31 AM »
Something I do a lot is print patterns from my drawings via my $99 inkjet.  I'm amazed at how accurate they are!  Now, I don't use those for joinery, but for things like cabriole legs patterns, scroll patterns, etc., they are very useful  I also will print scale sections or parts just to use as a guide.  I measure from those, but I usually know what they ought to be anyway.  Drafting was never my strongpoint.  I used to design race car parts and my prints were very crude.  Got the job done, but wouldn't have passed muster in a high volume "real life" production.  I only vaguely learned geometric tolerancing.  Got me a few times!  Nowadays, seems like models are the norm and you rarely see a "print" anymore.  Makes the QC guys crazy! 

Tony