Author Topic: Table Chest with Drawers  (Read 4436 times)

Tom M

• Forum Master
Re: Table Chest with Drawers
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:32:12 PM »
So everyone is going to build this before I do?

The hinges, which I made, are based on hinges Gene Landon had made for a Bible box which was presented to President Bush on July 4, 2001. Gene's were more elaborate, and as I recall were made by a blacksmith in York, PA.  When he taught the Bible Box at Olde Mill they simplified the design (He didn't want to reproduce the ones made for the President.) One of the people who took the class was kind enough to make a tracing of the hinge for me. I made a set using hot rolled steel with direction from my father who did ornamental iron work in the late 1940's before being drafted. I bought wrought nails and rivets from Bess at Olde Mill.

I would recommend you contact Bess at Olde Mill. I did look in some of the reproduction hardware catalogs and they do have similar hinges, but nothing with the filed details that make these so interesting.

More details:

Table chest with drawers
1760-1800
American black walnut, yellow poplar
39.4 x 65.3 x 29.9 cm (15 1/2 x 25 11/16 x 11 3/4 in. )
Mabel Brady Garvan Collection
Geography: Made in Pennsylvania
Culture: American
Period: 18th century
Classification: Furniture
Bibliography: Wallace Nutting, Furniture Treasury, 1st ed., 3 vols. (Framingham, Mass.: Old American Company Publishers, 1928–33), n.p., no. 100.
Gerald W. R. Ward, American Case Furniture in the Mabel Brady Garvan and Other Collections at Yale University (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Art Gallery, 1988), 57, 71–72, no. 13.
- See more at: http://artgallery.yale.edu/collections/objects/table-chest-drawers#sthash.But4DVxX.dpuf

Tom
Tom Meiller, SAPFM Member #684

msiemsen

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements
    • Green Lake Clock Company
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
I looked at the Gottshall drawing that was attached below. I doubt that the Pennsylvania chest pictured is made like that. For one thing I highly doubt that either chest was originally put together with screws and then plugged.
American Case Furniture, specific to this chest says," the (inside) bottom of the chest is a single board fitted to grooves in the sides. The drawers are separated by a small vertical block pinned to the front and tenoned through the bottom; behind it is a strip serving as a drawer guide.... The bottom of the object is again a single board, pinned to the sides.".
I take that to mean the the bottom is pinned on flush to the outside edge, the ends of the pins being visible when the chest is upside down. I drive these pins in at an angle (as I would nails ) to keep them from pulling out. You can see that the bottom runs past the sides in the attached photo of a chest attributed to the same shop by Yale. Remember there is no load on the very bottom of the chest other than the drawers.
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't

msiemsen

• Forum Master
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
I hate the small file size we are limited to.
Here is a shot of the drawers on this chest. The bottoms here are nailed on. American Case Furniture in the description of the other chest says the bottoms are trapped in a groove and the bottom is beveled to fit the groove with wooden pegs at the back to hold it in.
This one is "only" 54" wide.
Fisher Forge makes reasonably priced hardwarehttp://www.fisherforge.com/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:50:20 PM by msiemsen »
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't

FrederickH

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 07:52:23 PM »
Can someone tell me how the molding(cove), under the lid, might be attached? From the photo, I'm seeing what looks like nails that attach this molding to the carcass, not the underside of the lid. I'm almost finished with a copy of this chest and am making the moldings for this chest.

msiemsen

• Forum Master
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »
From looking at the photo I would guess that you are right. I would say that they are pegs and not nails but the other moldings appear to have the same attachment
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company

msiemsen

• Forum Master
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 01:45:30 AM »
since it is a miniature it is also possible that the top is that thick or nearly so.
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company

Tom M

• Forum Master
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 08:49:04 AM »
To me it looks like the molding is attached to the top.  If you look at the high resolution picture the Yale site (link in an earlier post) you can clearly see the molding surrounds the top. You can even see a slight mismatch of the front and side molding miter. The drawing I previously posted has it shown this way.

Tom

FrederickH

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 09:33:56 AM »
Tom, what I'm thinking of as being attached to the carcass must be the dowels showing through the cove molding and into the lid?

Tom M

• Forum Master
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »
It's been almost four years since I started this topic, and I can finally report that I finished a smaller version of this table chest with drawers.

I worked up the final construction details based on several of the posts.  I started prepping wood the first week of December, and completed construction on Christmas morning. I mailed it in late January to our son who graduated last May and now lives in Seattle.

I originally had planned on two drawers, but my wife pointed out they would be very small.  I didn't like the looks of it with one drawer, so I made one drawer which looks like two.  All of the molding profiles were roughed out with the table saw or a block plane. and then scraped to the final profile with scrapers I made. The wood pegs which hold the bottom of the box in (below the drawer) and the skirt molding were made with a dowel plate.

This was a great project, and a lot more fun than making bathroom cabinets!  I still want to make the full size version in walnut with iron hinges - maybe by 2022!  I would be happy to supply a 3D model if anyone is interested.

Best regards,
Tom