Author Topic: Finishing Walnut  (Read 3519 times)

kinter

• Forum Apprentice
Finishing Walnut
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:36:35 AM »
I am building a walnut corner cabinet,arched topw/ finial. My problem has always been
a good finish. Some sapwood shows I would like to achieve a finish that is (1) uniform in color & (2) the appearance of an older piece. I am told to start with lemon-yellow (NGR) dye stain. What are the next steps & materials & proportions? I am a new member so I hope I have gone about this the right way.

Thank you

John Kinter
J.Kinter's Cabinet Shop, Inc.

msiemsen

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements
    • Green Lake Clock Company
Re: Finishing Walnut
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:12:12 PM »
I prefer a coat of orange or garnet shellac and a finish coat of lacquer. The shellac could also be a finish coat followed by wax. I find the shellac gets rid of the purple hues in walnut. I try to avoid sapwood but the proper dye should help that.  Pratice on scrap.
Mike
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't

Martin S.

• Forum Journeyman
Re: Finishing Walnut
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:17:52 PM »
I put a ton of walnut in our dinning room.  My process was slow, but came out nice and pretty fool proof (import for me when it comes to finish).  First, I avoided sap wood (yup, adds a lot of cost).  I applied Watco danish oil  per directions, waited a week.  Gave a light hand sand with 400 grit and then put 2 coats of Barlet Gel varnish. 

I did all the finsihing in the basement and then installed.  If you want to see, there are pictures at:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a88/Fogpics/Member%20Photos/Martin%20Silber/DinningRoom/

martin