Author Topic: Oval Table Construction  (Read 3462 times)

awleonard

• Forum Master
    • Tony's Web Site
Oval Table Construction
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:52:36 AM »
I am considering building an elliptical shaped table.  I just finished a pair of Lolling chairs and need a table to go in between them.  I've seen several methods of building something like this, but I thought I would ask if anybody has any good tips.  I've seen lamination, brick, etc. techniques for building the skirts.  To complicate things, I want to add a drawer on each long side of the skirts.  I'm calling this a his and her table.  I'm working on a drawing.  I want to do some nice veneer on the top (radial pattern with cross banding) and use a tapered leg.  Thanks for the help.

Tony

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
  • Running a fifth generation cabinetmaking business
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
Re: Oval Table Construction
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »
Tony, Sounds like a fun project. I have found that laminating works well but it does flex back a little and moves over time but being held in place under the top it should work fine. Very rarely( I don't think I have ever seen this done on an old piece) do you see laminated period skirts. There must be a reason for this. Brick laid works well but the butt joints do show up after a few years, especially when using white pine. I would recommend poplar as a secondary wood. How are you going about laying out the oval (strings and nails or a square and blocks or?) plus are you banding your top. Cutting oval shaped banding can be an art in itself. Keep us apprised
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:15:22 PM by Jeff L Headley »

Mark Arnold

• Forum Master
    • Boston Woodworking Co., Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:26:12 PM »
Tony,

Here is a table I made about 15 years ago that sounds a lot like what you describe, save the drawers. The apron is brickwork poplar and I haven't seen much movement. The bricks on the long sides are longer than those on the ends. To lay out the ellipse, I used an oval jig and router setup. The banding on the top was inlaid into a groove that was plowed with a modified scratch stock that rides on two 1" dia. bearings. The banding was glued up around a curved form. I used double sided tape between the form and the inside curved veneer of the banding. Then I used a thin (1/16"?) slot cutter router bit with a bearing to rip strips from the banding blank. I raised the bit after each rip.

To add drawers, I would lay out their location on the first layer of bricks, insert a piece of wax paper between the first and second layers. Continue layering and before adding the last layer, make the plumb cuts with a thin kerf Japanese saw, and pop the drawer front out. Now you can add the last layer. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Mark
NBSS '96, Partial to the Federal Period.

Jack Plane

• Forum Master
  • UK antiques dealer, now residing in Australia.
    • Pegs and 'Tails
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:59:56 AM »
That's a very pretty table Mark!

I have made a couple of pairs of semi-elliptical console tables and an elliptical centre table, using Scots Pine (dense and hard) for the brickwork. The centre table had four drawers, one at each point of the compass.

I built the centre table brickwork in its entirety and cut the drawers out afterwards. The drawers were cockbeaded, so I was able to use the sections I cut out for the actual drawer fronts.

I found with any brickwork, it pays to let it sit for a while to acclimatise before final shaping and cutting any drawer orifices.
Regards, Jack.

awleonard

• Forum Master
    • Tony's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »
Thanks for the help!  Whew, I may have bitten off more than I can chew here.  Nothing like a challenge!  I'm finishing up a paint and putty project (built in bookcases) becuase I needed a break after those fussy chairs.  I wil post a pic of my drawing when I get it done.  Your replies give me lots to ponder.  I assume that I will need to learn hammer veneering to cover the bricks?  I've never done that before.  Looks fun though.  I have a vac setup with which I could do the laminations.  I'm not much of a purist.  Either way, I will get the chance to learn a new technique.  I try to do that with each new project.

Thanks again,

Tony

zacc

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
Tony:

Here is an interesting link for you: http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90484.  You may have to do some computer magic to make it work, but it's worth the time to look.

Rob

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
  • Running a fifth generation cabinetmaking business
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »
I do use my vacuum bag but find that it is easier to use clamps and calls for veneering most small surfaces like skirts and shaped drawer fronts.