Author Topic: Brass Engraving  (Read 8754 times)

awleonard

• Forum Master
    • Tony's Web Site
Re: Brass Engraving
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »
There is a lady that frequents the WoodCentral forums that does beautiful engraving on just about anything.   I can't find her name, but you might check the hand tool forum there and either ask for her or search the archives.  She may even have an add there.

Tony

millcrek

• Forum Master
    • Millcreek Woodworking
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »
http://www.catharinekennedy.com/
I think this is the lady.

rac50

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 10:47:15 PM »
Rob,
Here is a second site you may want to check out:  www.loprinziandsmith.com.
Ross

rchampagne

• Forum Master
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 05:01:46 PM »
There is some nice work out there.  Do you guys that build clocks use engraved faces much, or do you opt mainly for painted faces?  It would seem that the engraved face would increase the cost a bit, though I have no idea what it costs to have a face painted.  Where do you guys get the brass plate, and what kind do you use?
Rob

msiemsen

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements
    • Green Lake Clock Company
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 05:46:08 PM »
For a reproduction clock you would want to put in the type of dial that is appropriate to the time frame of the case. Brass dials were in use earlier in the 18th century with painted dials coming in to their own at the end of the century. I order engraved dials and the engraver provides the plate. It cost about $400 on up to have a dial painted and a brass dial about 3 to 4 times that.
Mike
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't

George Madok

• Forum Apprentice
  • Started period furniture making in 1989.
    • George Madok
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 10:30:42 PM »
I got my silvered brass clock face and movement from David Lindow. It is beautiful !!!! I also made a flintlock rifle a few years back with a master gunmaker. He taught me how to engrave. It is really fun, and unlike the 100 or so wood carving gouges I have I only needed ONE graver! Watching a master gunsmith like Jack Brooks engrave makes it look easy. Once I tried it I quickly realised I would need alot of practice to do a respectable job, and I am a fairly decent wood carver. Wood carving involves two hands on the gouge pushing it through the wood while metal engraving involves holding the graver in one hand and tapping it with a small hammer, two different skill sets really. It is fun though. Go to Home depot and buy a brass front door kick plate buy a graver and go at it if you are satisfied with your results do it yourself.

George

rchampagne

• Forum Master
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »
George, I like the idea of hacking around on a kick plate for practice.  Is there an online source you can recommend for gravers?
Thanks,
Rob

George Madok

• Forum Apprentice
  • Started period furniture making in 1989.
    • George Madok
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »
I did a quick search and found grstools.com. My square graver is sharpened something like the second graver of the three shown. I got mine from Jack. I think it is high speed steel.

George

Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

• Forum Master
  • Professional period furniture maker
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
Rob,

I placed a link on one of my replies for buying online engravers (see page 1).

Dennis Bork
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Retired Dec. 2018.

rchampagne

• Forum Master
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »
Thanks Dennis and George.  Dennis, I hadn't checked the source you listed, but just checked it out.  Looks like they have quite a selection.  Thanks again for the leads. 
Rob

hazard

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »
In reference to the clock movements with engraved and silvered face plate shown by David Lindow at CW, the face plates were engraved in England under a special order for a group building a reproduction tall case clock.  They were quite expensive back in 2004, something like $3500 including the movement and the face plate.
Chris Hazard
Chris Hazard
Member #413
Alexandria, VA