Author Topic: Twist in air dried cherry  (Read 3292 times)

mikemcgrail

• Forum Master
Re: Twist in air dried cherry
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 12:54:36 PM »
Last week, I built a little pond/trough out of some cypress and plywood, with some of that thick black plastic for a liner to keep the water from leaking. The 2 walnut boards I was working wtih were about 9 feet long and 11 inches wide each. Since I had not submersed any wood personally(my old mentor had done it for me before), I was suprised I needed 3 solid concrete blocks to keep those two boards underwater, and really they felt like they were still floating a bit.
Just now, I noticed the boards did not feel to be floating, so I removed my blocks and took the boards out of the water for a peek. Of course they are really heavy and sopping wet, but they loolk pretty darn straight right now-before they had at least 1.5 inches of crook along the 9 foot length.
I will leave them submersed a few more weeks before restickering.
I would not suggest this for anyone, but these are really, really boldly curled lumber and part of a match I need to make a table.

JB

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Journeyman
Re: Twist in air dried cherry
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 04:07:39 PM »
Very cool - thanks for keeping us posted!  This is a trick I had never heard of before. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.
Beginner/Intermediate Furniture Maker