Author Topic: Context  (Read 7025 times)

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
  • Running a fifth generation cabinetmaking business
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
Re: Context
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 10:19:46 PM »
Adam, I appreciate your interest. Descartes would be proud.
I got these from a set of old leather bound books from the 20's I found in a chest of drawers I purchased recently.
41 When another speaks be attentive yourself, and disturb not the audience. If any hesitate in his words, help him not  nor prompt him without being desired; interrupt him not, nor answer him, till his speech has ended.
42 Treat with men at fit times about business: and whisper not in the company of others.
43 Make no comparisons, and if any of the company be commended for any brave act of virtue, commend not another for the same.
44 Be not apt to relate news if you know not the truth thereof. In discoursing of things you have heard, name not your author always. A secert discover not.
45 Be not curious to know the affairs of others, neither approach  to those that speak in private.   

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 10:22:22 PM »
Just a few more to dwell upon:
46 Undertake not what you cannot perform, but be careful to keep your promise.
47 When you deliver a matter, do it without passion and with discretion, however mean the person be you do it to.
48 When your superiors talk to anybody, hearken not, neither speak, not laugh.
49 In disputes be not so desirous to overcome as not to give liberty to each one to deliver his opinion, and to submit to the judgement of the major part, especially if they are judges of the dispute.
50 Be not tedious in discourse; make not many digressions, nor repeat often the same manner of discourse.
51 Speak not evil of the absent, for it is unjust.
52 Make no show of taking great delight in your victuals; feed not with greediness; cut your bread with a knife; lean not on the table; neither find fault with what you eat.
53 Be not angry at table, what ever happens, and if you have reason to be so, show it not; put on a cheerful countenance, especially if there are strangers, for good humor makes one dish of meat a feast. 

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 09:34:56 AM »
Last few
54 Set not yourself at the upper end of the table; but if it be your due, or if the master of the house will have it so, contend not, lest you should trouble the company.
55 When you speak of God or his attributes, let it be seriously in reverence. Honor and obey your natural parents, although they be poor.
56 Let your recreations be manful, not sinful.
57 Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire, called conscience.

walkerg

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 08:49:42 AM »
Thanks Jeff for sharing this. Taken at face value they increase my appreciation of George Washington the man.
George Walker
George Walker - hobbiest 25 years, pretty much a hand tool guy, fascinated with 18th century classical design.

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »
Time for a second look!!!  Please read these again. All of us can take something away from this. I will try to remind everyone every so often. Everytime I read these I come away with a different prospective. Please realize the context in which they were written. Are we so different today?

Jameel Abraham

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 09:50:47 PM »
Jeff, I didn't expect to find something like this at a woodworking forum. But I'm glad I did. It reinforces my appreciation of your work (I've been looking in here at some of your posts for a while now and really enjoying them) and of Washington. I agree. These basic rules of conduct are something to be appreciated and emulated. The golden rule, on which most of these are based it seems, still is the best one. I'm saving these for a future re-read.

rcortright

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »
How can we work in the courteous use of cellphones, pagers and texting?