Author Topic: Brown desk door hinges  (Read 6854 times)

jdavis

• Forum Master
Re: Brown desk door hinges
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »
I will try to attach photos.  I get a headache thinking about doing this and doubt this text will describe it clearly. In the photos, The left door is almost closed so you can see how the center door thumbnail would lock over the left door front at the edge, and the pin on the center door back gets secured to the bolt behind the left door, attached to the bookcase. Note the two bolts in the picture. As the center and left doors close together, the pin engages the left bolt. Once closed, the lock engages the right bolt.

jdavis

• Forum Master
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 10:13:40 PM »
Looks like I might need a clarification already after rereading Al's earlier reply. My center door is mounted on the right door. The left is all alone and closes first.

We had some discussion about which way the original was done. There were conflicting photos of the same original Brown secretary in different books where the negative had been reversed in one. So even the books didnt get it right. Decide which way you want the two doors to swing and thats the right way.
John

albreed

• Forum Master
  • full time reproduction cabinetmaker since 1976
    • The Breed School
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 11:06:08 PM »
Thanks, John. I'd forgotten about that. It doesn't really matter which doors are attached to each other. The hardware is all reversible. -Al
Allan Breed

mikemcgrail

• Forum Master
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »
Ahh, that's what a tennis racquet catch looks like. I am sorry if my oriignal question has caused anyone here to have unhappy flashbacks. I really am not sure I have it all in my head quite right yet. Maybe a few more weeks of thinking will help me. The photos are very helpful, thanks Jdavis, and thanks to all.
yours truly,
Mike Mcgrail

jdavis

• Forum Master
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
Mike, when you get around to putting the hardware on, install the tennis racquets last but before you put the back boards on the case. Then you can reach through the back and tinker with their placement, snug up the doors etc, mark position and then attach.

The other wierd thing is the lock on the top drawer...a normal lock would bolt up but if the chest has the drawer slide, the bolt would go into the drawer slide....

Maybe you can get Al all excited about making one of these again and get him to teach another class. Working with Al for over a year was clearly the best experience of my woodworking hobby. 
Good luck, John

albreed

• Forum Master
    • The Breed School
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 06:41:11 AM »
John- Thanks for the compliment- it was the best experience of my teaching career, too.
About that top draw lock: you also have to bend the escutcheon to fit the curve. Ask B&B to anneal one for you so it will bend, and make a maple template to bend it over. Next time I'd leave the writing slide out of the piece, it just complicates the construction, and you could lock into the writing surface instead of the blade below.-Al
Allan Breed

mikemcgrail

• Forum Master
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 08:02:21 AM »
I have never been able to see any use for that writing slide. It makes sense on a bachelor's chest and  is very nice on a linen press to give you a place to fold clothes, but I don't think I can include it unless someone can show me a bit more usefulness to it. I don't see it making any contribution to the form. Please don't take this as a criticism, mr. townsend, should you happen to view the forum.

albreed

• Forum Master
    • The Breed School
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 04:02:49 AM »
Mike- I think the purpose of the writing slide was to have somewhere to put a ledger when retrieving things from the shelves in the top section without having to open the fall front, which would put you two steps further away from the shelves and make it hard to reach high stuff.
I think the slide adds nothing to the piece and those without it have the space it takes up replaced by another inch of draw height- note the space above the top block termination,-Al
Allan Breed