Author Topic: 18th Century Candlebox  (Read 4970 times)

dkeller_nc

• Forum Master
18th Century Candlebox
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:26:44 PM »
Does anyone happen to have an authentic 18th century candlebox that they could send me a couple of photos and rough dimensions of?  While a very simple item, it turns out that finding a picture of one of them in one of my antique books has been a challenge, though I've got tons of these.  Alternatively, if someone remembers the volume/page number of such a box from the Isreal Sack collection books, or in another book, I'd be appreciative.
Period Furniture & Carving as a hobby - about 20 years woodworking

rococojo

Re: 18th Century Candlebox
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »
Try this link http://www.adams-antiques.net/antique_wall_boxes.html
I see 4 wall mounted ones on show, no sizes given? But it would not be difficult to measure the length of a candle, then X it by its by its thickness, hope this helps you out.

Joseph Hemingway

klkirkman

• Forum Master
  • boatbuilder/pattern maker/apprentice silversmith
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:58:38 PM »
Bartley Classic Reproductions sells a kit for a different type than Joseph's illustrations being a "table top" model having a sliding lid like the center of a raised panel door . The dimensions given on their web site are 5 5/8 wide by 13 3/4 long by 4 3/4 high and a really nice photograph is shown there.

Karl
Karl

rococojo

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:06:23 AM »
Hi Karl, I just looked for an authentic 18th century candlebox, on goggle and that was its answer, I possible would have found your kit, if I had included Reproduction? But as Dennis did ask for authentic, the Positive thing, is he has a choice from 2 types now.

Joseph Hemingway

klkirkman

• Forum Master
  • boatbuilder/pattern maker/apprentice silversmith
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:34:55 AM »
Joseph,

You are , of course, correct in your repsonse.

However, since your offerings had no dimensions, and because I know Bartley very careful about the appearance authenticity of their products, it seemed helpful to provide the imformation and let the user choose versus scaling in the rather uncertain units of "candles", and to provide an alternative configuration .

When I say "appearance authenticity" of their products, I understand that they take care that the finished appearance of their pieces be true to specific prototypes, whilst using materials and construction suited to modern enthusiaist.

I understand fully that there may well be participants in this forum that wouild choose not to proceed in this way, but I think it fair to say that the availabilty of such things has assisted the appreciation of American Period Furniture.
I have no connection with Bartley, other than as a satisfied customer.

If anyone was put off by my submission, I sincerely apologize.

Karl

Karl

dkeller_nc

• Forum Master
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 04:34:58 PM »
Interesting - I was thinking of the table-top type of box, but the wall-hanging ones look interesting as well.  I wasn't aware of Bartley's - I've never heard of buying a highboy in kit form before!
Period Furniture & Carving as a hobby - about 20 years woodworking

ewedog76

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »
You can find a plan in Federal Furniture by Micheal Dunbar on pages 132-137. Good Luck
Jae Ewart
New England Chapter Coordinator

gvforster

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
Here is my version of Dunbar's candlebox (hopefully- re-sizing photos )

It was made from a White Oak log- rived, all hand tools, almost 20 years ago