Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 26, 2016, 01:19:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register Forum Archive
News: Due to an ISP issue, please repost any posts submitted between 01/29 and 02/01.

The Society of American Period Furniture Makers  |  Tools and Techniques  |  Power Tools and Shop Safety  |  Topic: Benchtop Mortiser « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Benchtop Mortiser  (Read 1907 times)
wood1000rio
Forum Apprentice

« on: July 14, 2011, 06:57:28 AM »

Are there any good deal out there for a bench top mortiser?
ttalma
Forum Master

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »

personally I wouldn't buy one. I've used both and bought a full sized stand up mortiser. I found the benchtops to be underpowered for anything larger than 1/4". And really the cost of the mortiser is cheap. Good bits are expensive and I've only found one company that makes good bits which is forrest. If you look at there design they are different from every other mortiser bit. Most mortiser drills are a single spiral bit with a brad point, the forrest ones are dual twist, with a unique end, and they work great! but a 1/4" set cost me $100 about 3 years ago.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.
Forum Master

Professional period furniture maker

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »

I have a Delta bench top mortiser and it works great.  No slow down using the 3/8" bit in maple.  I mostly use the 5/16" bit and I've had it for years.

Dennis Bork

Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years.
kerry grubb
Forum Journeyman

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »

I too have a Delta bench top mortiser that works very well for me.  It does have its limitations but for the most part does a great job.
Forum Master

Professional period furniture maker

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:50:13 AM »

One point to remember about the mortiser as well as any other piece of machinery, they are all made overseas and perhaps by the same factory.  The only difference is the color.  On Monday they paint white (Jet), on Tuesday grey (Delta), on Wednesday green (Grizzly), etc., etc.

Dennis Bork

Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Society of American Period Furniture Makers  |  Tools and Techniques  |  Power Tools and Shop Safety  |  Topic: Benchtop Mortiser « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length