Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 09, 2016, 11:33:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register Forum Archive
News: Due to an ISP issue, please repost any posts submitted between 01/29 and 02/01.

The Society of American Period Furniture Makers  |  Tools and Techniques  |  Power Tools and Shop Safety  |  Topic: Band Saw Wheels « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Band Saw Wheels  (Read 2066 times)
dwsantos
Forum Apprentice

« on: January 23, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »

Does anyone know where I can send my 16-inch Walker Turner Bandsaw wheels to be re-tired, crowned, and balanced. I have tried twice on my own and have been very frustrated with the results.
Thanks, Dan
msiemsen
Regional Chapter Coordinator
Forum Master

Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »

You can probably do them yourself. There are several sites selling tires for band saw wheels. Here is a link to Carter's. http://www.carterproducts.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=15They could possibly answer any questions you may have.
Mike

Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't
millcrek
Forum Master

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »

A few years ago I did a 1911, 20 inch. I found a place in central Wisconsin that would do it. I can't remember the name but I found it by searching this site http://vintagemachinery.org/. Hope it helps.
Mark Bortner
Forum Journeyman

facebook/Soundman Mark Bortner

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 10:21:41 PM »

He's referring to Woodworkers Tool Works. They've redone their website since I was on it last. They even have a few youtube videos on there now. Get ready for about a hundred bucks a piece plus shipping. I'm unsure just what problems you had doing it yourself though? Unless you're running wide blades don't get too concerned with the crown, just so they're concentric. 1/2" and under blades don't really need crown. As crazy as it sounds a belt sander works good to true the tires up. The top wheel is easiest, just block up the sander upside down on the table securely and use the tension mechanism to lower the wheel and adjust the cut as you spin it by hand. The bottom wheel takes a little more creativity to mount the sander and come up with a fine adjustment! Sometimes you can just take the bottom wheel off and put it up top to true it. If at first you don't succeed.....

Chose woodworking as my profession in 6th grade, been doing it ever since. Self employed furniture mfg. and set-up/maintenance man in a commercial woodshop. Pics of my old shop and furniture on myspace site and facebook.
millcrek
Forum Master

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:53:58 AM »

Mark is correct this is the place
 http://woodworkerstoolworks.com/services/index.php
dwsantos
Forum Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »

Thanks all for the great information. I now have some resources to help me decide how to proceed.

Dan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The Society of American Period Furniture Makers  |  Tools and Techniques  |  Power Tools and Shop Safety  |  Topic: Band Saw Wheels « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length