GREAT LAKES CHAPTER OCTOBER 2009
Great Lakes Chapter October Meeting-Agenda has been set for Saturday and Sunday, October 24th & 25th, 2009 at the Livonia Senior Center, Livonia, Michigan. This meeting will be free to all SAPFM dues paying members. There will be a charge of $5 per person. This will cover Saturday and Sunday's pop, coffee, pastries, water, rental fee and snacks.
We will be having lunch at a restaurant (Sam's Place) next to the Senior Center.
I'm looking forward to this meeting. It is always a pleasure to meet everyone and share our knowledge.
Thanks, EdThe general theme for this meeting will be hand tools.
SATURDAY, October 24th, 2009
1. Open doors at 10am. Arrive, relax and have some coffee.
3. 10:30-11:00am. Bruce Beck will give a report on the Mid-Summer Conference. We will also have pictures of the furniture shown by members at the conference.
4. 11:00-12 noon Bob Compton and Dan Reahard will present different styles of drawer construction used in period furniture.
5. 12 noon-1pm. Lunch. The restaurant (Sam's Place) next to the Senior Center.
6. 1:00pm-1:30pm. Jim Crammond will demonstrate the use of the plough plane.
7. 1:30-2:00pm. Mike Holden will demonstrate the use of hand saws.
8. 2:00-2:30pm. Chris Tenney will demonstrate the use of the scratch stock beading tool.
9. 2:30-3:pm Dale Ausherman will demonstrate the use of rasps.
10. 3:00-4:00pm. John Fritzpatrick will show how to carve an acanthus leave.
11. 4:00-5:00pm. Ed Stuckey will demonstrate how to create an oak leave and acorn marquetry medallion pattern.
12. Dinner at Bennigan's restaurant.
Dinner starts at 5:30pm.The restaurant is at Bennigans. There will be maps for directions to the restaurant at the meeting.
SUNDAY, October 25th, 2009
13. Demonstrations (continue), 9:00am till 12 noon.
14. 9:00-9:30am. Video presentation of Ed Stuckey’s furniture.
15. 9:30-10:00am. Dale Ausherman will show pictures from the Chipstone Collection.
16. 10:00-11:30am. Group Discussion.
As a period conscious furniture maker, we all struggle with the time it takes to document our next project so we can start Working Wood. If all the members could share their processes & resources to document their projects, maybe we could benefit from each other’s experience and knowledge. The goal of the round table discussion is to help each other with the planning stage to get to working wood quicker. And maybe with more confidence that we have covered all the bases. If each member could bring their lists of resources and ideas to discuss this topic.
17. 11:30-12 noon. Wrap up.
18. Discussion of the agenda for the Spring 2010 meeting.
19. Feedback and summary of the meeting-What went well? -What needs improvement? -Topics and presenters for next meeting.
DIRECTIONS TO THE LIVONIA SENIOR CENTER. 15218 Farmington Road, Livonia, Mi, 48154. 734-466-2555. The center is located at the corner of Farmington rd. and 5 Mile.
MOTEL ARRANGEMENTS. Comfort Inn Plymouth Clock Towers, 40455 Ann Arbor Rd, Plymouth Mi, 48170. Tel. No. 734-455-8100 or 1-800-424-6423. We have reserved 5 rooms.
Web Site: www.choicehotels.com
Restaurant Location. Bennigans. 40441 Ann Arbor Rd. E, Plymouth, Mi, 48170. Tel. No. 734-459-8907.
NOTE: There will be a tour of the Henry Ford Museum furniture collection and conservation department on Saturday, November 28, 2009. I spoke with the conservator about a tour just for SAPFM members, but he had already committed to a tour through Woodcraft. So we will join their tour. This is the same tour held by Woodcraft last year. I will post more information as it becomes available.